The upgrade table works very nicely for this. Error out on same-version. In my
upgrade table I have:
        <UpgradeVersion
            OnlyDetect="yes"
            Minimum="$(var.CURRENT_VERSION)"
            IncludeMinimum="yes"
            Maximum="$(var.CURRENT_VERSION)"
            IncludeMaximum="yes"
            Property="SAMEVERSIONDETECTED" />

And in the ui/exec sequence:
        <Custom Action="MyAlreadyUpdated"
After="FindRelatedProducts">SAMEVERSIONDETECTED</Custom>

And
    <CustomAction Id="MyAlreadyUpdated" Error="!(loc.MyAlreadyUpdated)" />

Dave