You haven't said (or I missed it) if you're using ServiceControl - you
can use that to shut down the service and restart it after the
upgrade. In most cases that will mitigate any files-in-use situations
because Windows looks at the ServiceControl table to see if the
service will be shut down.  That may make a difference in your case.

If it's a completely silent install, it'll stay silent. There'll be no
dialogs, and if a reboot is needed it will just do it - it can't
prompt in a silent install, and a reboot is needed to complete the
install so it does it.
Phil Wilson