Thanks for the info.

I started over with a new VS2013 msi setup template project.  I added code,
essentially from Rob's remember property pattern post, and then used the
same command line file I shared earlier.  I now get further down the path
successfully producing the xxx_test.msi (and not seeing that Light error,
which proves that it had something to do with my other test project and not
the tools).  I can also run Nit now but it always reports that the test
failed.   I feel like I am much closer to a working sample, but I set it
aside to work on some production issues.  I will come back to it later.
Thanks for the help!

This results in NIT8104: Package Failed: Fatal error during installation
NIT8102 1 tests failed. 0 tests passed.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Wix xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2006/wi";
     xmlns:lux="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2009/Lux";

  <Fragment>
    <Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
      <Directory Id="ProgramFilesFolder">
        <Directory Id="INSTALLFOLDER" Name="TestLux" />
      </Directory>
    </Directory>
  </Fragment>

  <Fragment>
    <Property Id="REMEMBERME" Value="Test">
      <RegistrySearch Id='RememberProperty' Root='HKCU'
Key='SOFTWARE\Wix\DemoRememberProperty' Name='Remembered' Type='raw' />
    </Property>
  </Fragment>

  <Fragment>
    <CustomAction Id='SaveCmdLineValue' Property='CMDLINE_REMEMBERME'
Value='[REMEMBERME]' Execute='firstSequence' />
    <CustomAction Id='SetFromCmdLineValue' Property='REMEMBERME'
Value='[CMDLINE_REMEMBERME]' Execute='firstSequence' />
    <InstallUISequence>
      <Custom Action='SaveCmdLineValue' Before='AppSearch' />
      <Custom Action='SetFromCmdLineValue'
After='AppSearch'>CMDLINE_REMEMBERME</Custom>
    </InstallUISequence>
    <InstallExecuteSequence>
      <Custom Action='SaveCmdLineValue' Before='AppSearch' />
      <Custom Action='SetFromCmdLineValue'
After='AppSearch'>CMDLINE_REMEMBERME</Custom>
    </InstallExecuteSequence>
  </Fragment>

  <Fragment>
    <lux:UnitTest CustomAction="SaveCmdLineValue"
Property="CMDLINE_REMEMBERME" Value="Test" Operator="equal" />
  </Fragment>
</Wix>