Matthias Clasen wrote:

>On Tue, 2006-09-26 at 11:21 +0100, Bill Haneman wrote:
>

>>Matthias/All:
>>
>>The whole _NET_WM_USER_TIME thing is a continuing problem for
>>accessibility, as it now stands.  In an assistive technology setting,
>>there isn't always an X event that corresponds to the "user action"
>>which results in a new window being posted or focus changing.  Since X
>>doesn't allow us to get a meaningful answer to "what's the current
>>timestamp", we have serious problems when trying to interact with
>>windows via non-X-device-based user requests.
>>

>Not sure I fully understand what you are saying here. What would be
>an example for a non-X-device based user request that causes a window to
>be posted or the focus to change ?

For instance, if a switch device (not associated with XInput or
emulating a mouse button) is used to drive an onscreen keyboard like
GOK; or if a braille "keyboard" (which doesn't connect to the XServer as
a keyboard, but has its own unique serial interface) is used to focus a
GUI component or popup a window.  OR if the result of interacting with
such devices causes an app to post a new window via AtkAction.  From the
user's perspective, s/he has made a device request, but the XServer
doesn't see these devices as standard keyboards or mice (or even
extended XInput devices).

regards

Bill