today we are going to talk about buñuel's work. during the past month i've been
going through a buñuel phase.

i've watched most buñuel movies available at the valencia public library,
although i couldn't find _un chien andaluou_, 1929 and
_l'âge d'or_, 1930, which i had already seen a long time ago.  i had probably
seen these pieces before because i am a snob and an
intellectualoide, although it might also be due to the fact that i'm european.

i've been watching:
_los olvidados_, 1950
_viridiana_, 1961
_belle de jour_, 1967
_tristana_, 1970
_ensayo de un crimen_, 1955
_el ángel exterminador_, 1962
_le charme discret de la bourgeoisie, 1972

although i still have much left to see, i have concluded that his work differs
from time to time.

-some keywords are:
*surrealism
*sade
*dreams
*abject
*poverty
*mexico**
*méxico**
*méjico**
*france
*españa

-some key words are":
.oneiric world
.social realism
.social critique
.ancient regime
.the 20s
.the 30s
.the 50s
.the 60s
.the 70s
.the bells (the sound of bells on moving animals)
.folk tales
.folk remembrances
.death
.self sacrifice

-also, my partner and i had a problem watching _el ángel exterminador).  I
think the problem was that we were tired at the end of
the day, to watch such a movie. however, perhaps was due to both: either we
were as tired as the people in the movie who appear to
go through an immobility-fatigue-somnolence spell, or the characters of the
movie transmitted us their sleepy feelings through a
tele-dvd tele-pathy.

** while mexicans (from mexico) write the name of their country as 'méxico' but
pronounce it
'méjico,' spanish (from spain) write the name of mexico as 'méjico.'  mexicans
don't like that we, spanish, write it just as it is
pronounced.