On Fri, 20 Apr 2007, Tom_ Lewis wrote:

There %is% a city center in Espoo?

yeah, isn't there? maybe not -- I kinda thought Tapiola was the "center -- if you drive in on the highway, aren't there signs indicating a "keskus / centrum"? not that a sign bestows centrality on a place...

There are three or four centers in Espoo, and Tapiola is one of them, the oldest one. The adm,inistratice center is the Espoo Centrum which is located in the middle part of the area, by the old Cathedral, and virtually inaccessible except by commuter train or a few bus lines. The administrative services are divided between Tapiola and the Centrum, probably because a lot of those services were already established in Tapiola before the time the Centrum itself was built, in the 70s. Some of the main office buildings located within the Centrum, are slated for demolition with no clear plan of any replacement. These include the City Hall designed by some Polish or DDR architects.

I'm fascinated by the constant construction work going on in Espoo, the feeling of temporality, thin layers of new culture built upon the earlier strata. I want to study better the land use in Espoo, but haven't figured out yet how to do this.

j.

I lived in Helsinki in the late 90s, and taught English out at the H:ki University of Technology out in Espoo -- it sure is an interesting place, I'll agree, but not where I'd want to hang my hat if I had a choice of locations in So. Finland...

Mr. Hate Archisnob, signing off --

näkemiin,

tl