Hi Taco,

> I guess in the end it all becomes a case of - is the client
> willing to pay for your extra time required to apply all these hacks.

First thing to note is that it is soooooo much quicker to develop a site
this way once you get the basics right. Once you have the basics, you start
the next new site with a template based on these basics and you can churn
out sites in half the time you used to.

Secondly, these (relative fonts) are definitely NOT hacks. Using a table to
lay out non-tabular content is a hack. Exploiting a bug in a browser (like
the voice family hack mentioned a few days ago) is a hack (and this one
should be considered dangerous.. At least fully explore the pros and cons
before using it).

> Having worked for several government bodies I am afraid to
> say I have NEVER worked with %, simply because it looked like
> a paint to work with. And the only downfall I see in using
> pixels is due to the fact IE (some versions) can't scale it.
> (the only sites I developed for the gorvernment were
> Intranet, so don't come down to hard on me ;-)

A behaviour in IE is the most important one to worry about as it has a 93%
market share (like it or not, and I'm not saying it's better than any other
browser, it's just reality). I suggest you look at the user_agents hitting
your site(s) at some stage. If you don't have access to analyse your log
files, then a generic breakdown is a good second bet. See lists like:
http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2003/November/browser.php

Also FWIW (a good generic audience) take a look at the AM Online stats
breakdown of browsers and platforms for November 2003
http://www.amonline.net.au/website/reports/amonline/0311/index_08_b.htm

Regards,

Peter