From: russ weakley [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, 1 February 2004 12:07 AM
To: Web Standards Group
Subject: Re: [WSG] Delimiting columns in a 3column fluid layout

Wrap the layout in two containers and place a background image inside each.
The first container has a background image 180px wide that is blank except
for a line along its right edge - to fake the left column border. Set the
background to repeat y.

The second container has a background image 180px wide that is blank except
for a line along its left edge - to fake the right column border. Set the
background to repeat y.

No matter how deep the content inside any column grows, the lines will
always grow with them.

Full step by step of how to do it here:
http://css.maxdesign.com.au/selectutorial/tutorial_intro.htm

Finished sample here:
http://css.maxdesign.com.au/selectutorial/steps/step22.htm

All you need to do is replace the graphics I have used with your own
versions - lines instead of solid backgrounds.

:)
Russ

I am building a site in a 3 column fluid layout (with header and footer
divs) and I want to have a grey line between the columns to delineate

them.

I know I can use a background graphic with a background-repeat:y;  to

create

the line, but the problem is different columns will be the longest in
different pages.  If I put a background graphic in the left and right
columns, that will draw the grey delimiter as far down the page as content
goes in those columns but there are is a problem with that approach:

The side columns have to be a fixed width and that sort of takes away some
of the 'fluidness' of the layout.

Is there any way to make both the grey column delineators go all the way
down the page to the top of the footer div at the bottom?

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks