When I joined this list I already knew that I wanted to pursue the web standards approach. But I was at the hair-pulling stage and needing help. I've seen many people join since who are as I was then (not so long ago either, and am sure to be again).

Two principles have been on my mind.

1) I did not want to bother the list until I had made an exhaustive search of the websites detailing difficulties with various browsers and how to solve them. In other words, I did not think it fair that I should ask others to solve issues without my having worked very hard to solve them myself.

2) I did not want simply to be a 'taker', so if I had learnt anything, and had the time to do it, I wanted to be able to give back to others who may be encountering the same problems.

I have to confess I have found the first principle easier to observe than the second, and I am full of admiration for members of the list who continue to help fellow list members with their code. I think this is what keeps the list 'grounded', and makes us a feel welcome to be here.

I once heard a psychologist describe relationships in terms of fleas and dogs. Some people are fleas who suck on their 'dog' partners. In some relationships, both partners are fleas.

To all the 'dogs' on this list, a big 'thank you'!

-Hugh Todd

And I think this needs to be a place where we both learn to understand the big picture and wrestle with the nitty gritty.