1. I always set font sizes as a %, this way people can easily use their browsers font controls to increase/decrease the size to improve legibility eg: in Firefox pressing CTRL and + or CTRL and -

2. I'd be happy with +- 25%

3. re: fixing font size. As someone who wears glasses and has designed sites aimed at senior citizens previously, I detest the new trend of being "uber-cool" and fixing small font sizes. Young 20, 30, or even 40 year old designers with good eyesight MAY be able to read it fine, but anyone who requires glasses or has vision problems associated with age would give up on such sites quick smart

Keep up with the work at Westciv, its a good resource.

--
Neerav Bhatt
http://www.bhatt.id.au

Maxine Sherrin wrote:

Hi all,

Have just started major site overhaul at www.westciv.com which will boldly try for

1. XHTML (would love strict but will prob. have to settle for transitional)/CSS
2. WAI-AAA
3. improved architecture
4. uber-sexy stylishness

But this very first afternoon I'm pondering a couple of related things that I would really like a bit of peer review on.

1. I want people to be able to read the text on my page, but I also want it to look stylish and not bulky. Is it possible to have both of these things? What do people prefer to do at the moment? I only ask because time and again when I go to a page and say "hey, I really like the text on this page" and then see that it is set using pixels or points and doesn't change in size when you increase the text size in IEWin.

2. What degree of increase in text size must my layout be able to cope with? I know some designs can cope with any increase, eg

http://webstandardsgroup.org/
http://www.westciv.com/

but as soon as you try to do anything sophisticated with both a vertical and a horizontal navbar you seem to invariably get problems.

http://www.iaea.org/
http://www.webstandardsawards.com/

How acceptable is it to fix the font size in navbars?, as is done here

http://www.beforethedog.com/

Sorry to have gone on, and of course none of this is by way of criticism of any of these sites - it's just a theme I noticed once I started looking for a solution to my own problem. Any opinions, debate, much appreciated.

Maxine

Maxine Sherrin
Westciv: software and courses for the standards based web
http://www.westciv.com
http://westciv.typepad.com/standards/