> On Tuesday, March 30, 2004, at 03:57  PM, Miles Tillinger wrote:
>
> > I've managed to get it basically perfect in IE6, but there is small
> > 2-3 pixel discrepancy in Mozilla and Opera (haven't had a chance to
> > check on Safari yet *shudder*) down the left side of the
> right column.
> >  I'm guessing that its to do with how I've made the columns
> inside a
> > column layout, but I can't work out a better way to do it.
>
> You're worried about 2-3 pixels?  I wouldn't be, unless it
> looks awful,
> just aim for "close and visually balanced" rather than "pixel
> perfect".

I agree and I'm happy with where it's at now.  It definitely doesn't look awful, in
fact a few ppl that've seen the site didn't notice it, although they aren't hunting
for it like we would!

> Furthermore, I'd suggest that Safari, Mozilla, Opera et al are
> "correct" and IE is "2-3 pixels out", not the other way around :)

Yeah it's certainly IE that is being silly as I've measured the pixels.

> FWIW, it renders the same in Safari and Opera 7.5Beta on Mac OS X.

Thanks for the OSX check, that makes me feel better!

> > Is what I am trying to do not suited to CSS positioning?
> Or is there
> > a better way to do it?
>
> Seems perfect to me -- you should be able to almost achieve
> everything
> (and then some) with CSS layout that you used to with tables,
> with the
> exception of tabular data, which should remain in tables.

MT.