As long as its valid and well-formed markup then the validator will
acknowledge your site as compliant.

However, if not, then it will provide you a list of errors when using
inproper markup with either HTML or XHTML depending on your DOCTYPE.

I'm sure not sure what version of HTML the validator uses, therefore I'll
defer to my knowledgeable colleagues associated with the WSG to provide
that answer.