Mike Pepper wrote:

Agreed. I now just do XHTML 1.1. There is no 'strict'; just markup.

I don't see any reason to use anything less (except, maybe when dealing with legacy code).

There are countless pros and cons (like the IE xml prelude) but it's helped
me get a better understanding of the markup business

The best argument I've heard for sticking with HTML 4.01 is that some browsers can't handle XML that well. That what I serve up HTML 4.01 Strict to IE and most others. If you think this is a contradiction to what I said above, think again. One of the beauties of XML (including XHTML) is it's easily transformable. If you write in XHTML and the browser can handle it, serve it up. If the browser can't, no problem. Because it's well formed it's an easy matter to change a "/>" into a ">" and an '<input id="id"' into an '<input id="id" name="id"'. Make sure to set the correct <!DOCTYPE> and <HTML> and presto change-o you now have HTML 4.01. As far as writing a program to go the other way, unless you're an uber-geek with way too much time on your hands, I wouldn't recommend it.

More than anything, running with XHTML 1.1 has helped me develop a mindset
in anticipation of XML and the constructs involved.

Anticipation? It's here already. Sure there's more coming down the road, but that not a reason to not take advantage of what's here already.

(And I'm a TS3 Pro man. Great editor.)

I can't wait for TS4, at which point I'll probably put HomeSite 4.5.2 into full retirement.