Thanks John and Nelson.

> Hey Paul, I just realized that I was incorrect saying that you can
> apply "text-align: center;" directly to the image. If would have to be
> wrapped in another tag, with that rule applied to the parent.

So it looks the answer to my original question is, "Yes,  to center an image
using css, it really is necessary to wrap it in a block level element with
text-style:center defined."  Huh!

Is it just me, or is that kind of kludgy?

This seems to mean that I have to apply a style property that has nothing to
do with images (text-align) to a class or id of a block level element that
exists solely for the purpose of containing an image... weird... awkward...
that's a lot of markup and css to replace the (deprecated) align attribute!

Or is there still a better way?

Cheers,
Paul