Paul,

The short answer is that if you want to support IE5 and IE5.5 (which are
both still very popular browsers) then one method you could use is to wrap
your image in a container and use text-align: center;

To your other question...

It is important to start any site with the usual technical questions like:
- what level of browsers are my target audience on (eg. older, recent,
modern)?
- what level of support will I give older browsers (eg. no support, partial
support, full support)?

More on this here:
http://www.maxdesign.com.au/presentation/process/index_step01.cfm

The answers to these questions will give you a coding direction - you will
be able to focus on the browser level you feel it is appropriate to support
and the level at you intend to support older browsers. This will vary on
each site you do.

If your target audience includes very old browsers like NN4 and IE4, your
ability to use full CSS and/or clean semantically correct code is more
limited, but it is still achievable. If detailed layouts are required for
these older browsers it could mean that you have to accept some minor
compromises. You may have to use absolute positioning on some containers as
this positioning model is slightly better supported than floats, or accept
that some items may be wrapped in an additional container.

The other thing to keep in mind is that 'support' does not necessarily mean
pixel perfect. Support could mean a slightly (or radically) reduced quality
layout in an older browser compared to a standards compliant browser. As
long as they are getting the overall layout, colours and fonts, this may be
acceptable (as long as all content is accessible).

So your question is very hard to answer, as it will depend on the site and
the browser level you intend to support etc...

A bit brain-dead tonight so I hope that doesnąt confuse the issue even more
for you :)

Russ