>I had the same problem with margins in IE. I fixed margin problems in my
>css by some hacks, but I couldn't force IE 5.5 to output it right. So, I
>used browser detect script[1] and created file called ie55.css with
>right margins for IE 5.5.

Rather than using JavaScript for browser detection, try Microsoft's own built-in hack:
conditional comments. They will work in all versions of IE regardless of whether
JavaScript is enabled or not and every other user agent in the entire universe will
just see a comment.
More info:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/ccomment_ovw.asp

Cheers,