Wow! I'm overwhelmed - many thanks to all who responded - my page is looking good now. Just another 30 or so to do...!

On 11 Jun 2004, at 17:07, Mike Pepper wrote:

Mary,

Firstly, welcome and well done for getting on with table-less design. Like
the nutty electric zebras :o)

You challenge is to do with padding on the image container. Simply set that
to 0 --

#banner {
padding: 0;
margin-bottom: 5px;
}

(Incidentally, you don't need to specify what is zero. zero is zero, so you
won't need 0px, just 0.)

you can also kill the bottom margin if you want a flush fit with the body.

and then adjust your overall width down by 10px to compensate --

#container {
width: 700px;
\width: 720px;
w\idth: 700px;
}

Since the masthead contributes nothing to the accessibility of the page, you
may want to make it a background image to the banner div by sticking the
image reference in the CSS using --

#banner {
background: transparent url(../media/webheader.jpg) no-repeat top right;
padding: 0;
margin-bottom: 5px;
}

Have a good one,