What I'm looking for is a way to have a consistent em based measuring unit across all
block elements in a site so that a width of say 10em will be the same  no matter what
the font size of the text in that block is.

Here's a little demo using your example with each element given a left margin of 10em,
and similar headers with my typical use of spans:
http://hurricane.mit.edu/erp_manuals/test.html

As you can see the way you're suggesting still gives an effective margin of 12em when
the font size is 1.2em and 15em when the font size is 1.5em.

--
Bill McAvinney
Massachusetts Institute of Technology