I think it is important *not to* build&test in IE first.

You have to avoid building your code on top of some IE bug/quirk.

It is much less work to force IE to behave well,
than making all other browsers misbehave like IE.

For that matter I build and test pages for Firefox and Opera7 first
(having IE (in)capatibilities in mind), and after I have desired layout
I start fighting to get it working in IE.

This guarantees that code for all browsers is standards-compiliant
and invalid junk is only served to IEnvalid junk.

--
regards, Kornel Lesiński