Mary Krieger wrote:

If you copy and paste the text into the 'content' part of your standard
page,  the line breaks will show you where the paragraph and headings
are.
I'm using Homesite so I just select and repeat the similar code ( first
p, then h1, h2 etc) from one end of the document to the other.

Depending on your version of MS Office, copying from displayed text may
bring in a bunch of inline styles. Yes, even pasting into a text
document! Ack!

So, I usually save Word files as plain text (no line breaks) first.

Next I use a good text editor with regular expression searching (I use
TextPad, there are many others) to wrap text chunks in paragraph tags
(e.g. ^is the beginning of a line, $ is the end, \n is carriage return,
etc...)

And last, I do a search and replace for weird apostrophes, quotes,
dashes, etc...

Generally the only thing missing them is the the use of bold and italic
within the text (not part of the heading structure) and any tables or
lists within the text.

If you save as text, you'll still have tabs and funky characters for
lists, which can also be regular expression searched and replaced with
the right tags. I actually create a batch action for each contributor
role that regularly sends me Word documents, which does most of the
standard searches one after another (and in the right order, which I can
screw up if it's been awhile) with the press of a hotkey. This allows me
to include foreign characters for certain contributors, em dashes for
others, different list designators for Macs vs. PCs, etc...

The newest Acrobat (7 Pro) also exports to plain text quite
effectively...not just RTF. It ostensibly offers an html w/css option,
but uses inline styles extensively, so the plain text route is more
efficient.

Jona Decker
Madison, WI USA