Hi there,

> My first question is that if I convert the PDF files to HTML to make
> them more accessible, am I right in thinking that this is only half my
> job done? If the original file wasn't marked up correctly in the first
> place before being saved as PDF (with headings, etc) does this mean
> that its still not really accessible?

As an extremely broad generalisation, yes - bad source gets bad
output. However every case is different so you'll have to check your
resulting (X)HTML to make sure it's standards compliant/accessible.

> Secondly, with the Word documents, if there is an easier way to convert
> them to HTML? At the moment I am saving as HTML from Word, taking them
> into Dreamweaver and using 'Clean up Word HTML'.

Try http://textism.com/wordcleaner/ .... I've found it's pretty good,
esp. in conjunction with the DW tricks you mention.

If you have a large amount of this sort of work, you might like to
invest in http://cita.disability.uiuc.edu/software/office/

cheers

--- <http://www.200ok.com.au/>
--- The future has arrived; it's just not
--- evenly distributed. - William Gibson