At 05:05 PM 6/14/2005, Richard Czeiger wrote:
Wondering how we can get CSS to specifity the spearator used in ordered lists (ie: the thing between the list item number and the value of the list item). For example...

1.
    a)
        1 -
            a:

I would argue that this is perfectly good markup & styling:

        <ol>
                <li>1 - Aardvark</li>
                <li>2 - Banshee</li>
                <li>3 - Cicada</li>
        </ol>

and then:

        ol li
        {
                list-style-type: none;
        }

Just because browsers can automatically number ordered list items doesn't mean we have to let them do it. If you can't control the list item punctuation and the default rendering doesn't work for your application, I say suppress it and insert your own. I don't remember seeing any restriction in the W3C specs on the textual content of list items.

Regards,
Paul