Hello folks,

I was reading the June 2005 issue of APC (Australian Personal
Computer) magazine which has a cover story on unique features built
into the long-awaited Windows "Longhorn" OS including the Avalon
presentation system/user interface. This section really got me
thinking:

"The most important difference between Avalon and the current Windows
display architecture is that Avalon is vector based. The vector
structure allows scalable graphics (windows, fonts & icons), meaning
designers can specify shapes and objects onscreen instead of mapping
elements using pixels and x/y coordinates.

In a nutshell, Avalon means developers are now free to code without
considering the resolution of users' monitors. This ensures that apps
developed in this environment will work on just about any display,
from mobile phones and PDAs to wide-screen notebooks and high-end
desktop systems".

What does all this mean for the web standards community? Am I reading
too much into this by thinking this is a seismic shift in the way we
could be building websites in the future? In particular - what are the
implications in the XHTML/CSS path versus something like Flash?

I searched the archives and no-one seems to have asked this question
to the list before? What are peoples thoughts...?

Regards
PAUL ROSS
SkyRocket Design Co
http://www.skyrocket.com.au