hmmm....I smell Troll...

You don't work for Microsoft do you David?

:)
________________________________

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of David Pietersen
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 1:41 PM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] Longhorn & Avalon - seismic shift for web standards?

> But, if you're in the business of building web apps that target a specific
> platform...... :)

We all do, really.  I am at home, and don't have the research here, but current
statistics show that 97.4% of all devices accessing web content are running on
Windows.  Every one of these machines has IE on it.  Really, are we mad to
develop for anything else?  Discuss.

On 7/15/05, Philippe Wittenbergh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

        On 15 Jul 2005, at 9:54 am, Paul Ross wrote:

        > "The most important difference between Avalon and the current Windows
        > display architecture is that Avalon is vector based. The vector
        > structure allows scalable graphics (windows, fonts & icons), meaning
        > designers can specify shapes and objects onscreen instead of mapping
        > elements using pixels and x/y coordinates.

        Apple (OS X, Core graphics), recent KDE (using SVG) and recent Gnome
        already have this build.

        > What does all this mean for the web standards community? Am I reading
        > too much into this by thinking this is a seismic shift in the way we
        > could be building websites in the future? In particular - what are the
        > implications in the XHTML/CSS path versus something like Flash?

        That will depend on what the browser supports. A webpage is not an
        application.
        SVG (and the canvas tag) is the obvious answer here.

        Firefox nightly builds (and DeerPark dev. preview) already have full
        SVG support build in.
        Opera 8: idem (only SVG tiny, atm).
        Safari and Webkit supports the canvas tag, SVG support (the patches
        made by the KDE team) has landed recently in the CVS tree, meaning you
        can already build Webkit with SVG support yourself.
        Konqueror recent builds should support SVG as well.

        Internet exploder: no support, except via the Adobe plugin. Maybe in
        the elusive Longhorn.

        As far as webstandards goes: no shift. You can use svg as a
        background-image, or for a series of buttons, or...

        Philippe
        ---
        Philippe Wittenbergh
        <http://emps.l-c-n.com/>