One thing I notice is the lack of consistency of the 'cover' page from any
page you get to through a link. It seems to me this may be beyond your
control as they seem to be a bunch of different mini-sites

This I can answer, although DISCLAIMER: I'm answering as a private citizen who just happens to know, not as a representative of the corporation. Yes, definitely they're a bunch of different sites, though some might take a bit of umbrage at the word "mini"!

The front page probably shouldn't be considered a 'portal' -- DISCLAIMER: in my personal, non-corporate-representing opinion -- simply the front page of a very large complex organisation which means different things to different people.

ABC Online sites are pretty much autonomous, and it's not a dynamic site. There are literally millions of pages of static HTML going back as much as ten years. For the last few years at least sites have shared a global navigation include at the top of the page.
               "Have You Validated Your Code?"
John Horner                            (+612 / 02) 8333 3488
Developer, ABC Kids Online            http://www.abc.net.au/