On Aug 25, 2005, at 12:33 PM, Thierry Koblentz wrote:

Ben Curtis wrote:

1- link replaces current document (no target or js new window)
2- link always opens new window (target="_blank" or js equivalent
with unnamed window, e.g., window.open(this.href,'',winOptions);)

I agree, the opener getting focus each time the user clicks on a link create
problems with named windows (using target or JS).
But I think one can use the following to make sure named windows pop up on
top of the opener.

newWin=window.open(this.href,'zWin');if(window.focus){newWin.focus()}

True, and that does cure the most disabling aspect of named windows. However, it is still context sensitive in that if you click a link so- coded which is in a document already in a window named zWin, then it will open the new document in the same window instead of the other one.

One could, I suppose, code around that, too (wrapping for legibility only):

        onclick="
            if (self.name == 'zWin') self.name = '';
            var newWin = window.open(this.href, 'zWin');
            if (window.focus) newWin.focus();
            return ! newWin;
        ">Open Foo</a>

But you still haven't coded around the contextuality, since now you have opened a new window, but which window has what name? If other links point to zWin, which window is that? Your arrangement of windows, and what the targets actually point to, is dependent on previous user actions, which are unpredictable. So, to be predictable, links either need to "target" self (no target, no new win), or always open a new window.

The merits of always knowing your context are as debatable as whether one should be opening windows in the first place, anyway.

(Of course, if you were to try this sort of thing, you'd be applying it unobtrusively and not inline like the example...)

--

    Ben Curtis : webwright
    bivia : a personal web studio