G'day

This is called the web standards group. I imagine that those here essentially adhere to the value of web standards, and discuss things in this context.

And we are. Where in the standard does it say we are not *allowed* to use even one table for layout?
3.3. of which says: Use style sheets to control layout and presentation.

A table's presentation can be controlled with CSS. No need for bgcolor, background, border etc in the (x)html.

5.3 of which says: Do not use tables for layout unless the table makes sense when linearized

See that word "unless"?
The "CSS is religious" thing is a straw man.

The way some people preach against using ANY table for layout as they are evil sure makes it look like a religious obsession. But maybe it's politics rather than religion. Right wing or left wing? Can't sit on the fence or keep changing camps based on our needs, or can we...

From the get go the tables for layout approach was a hack

Call it a hack if you like. CSS layouts are usually full of them too. HTML (and CSS) did not and do not (and may never) have anything that will just as reliably give all people the layout they want and need in the browsers that most people use. Horses for courses.

History teaches us that such things, regardless of their present usefulness, we usually come to regret.

I am sure history has plenty of examples of quite the opposite too :-)

Regards --
Bert Doorn, Better Web Design
http://www.betterwebdesign.com.au/
Fast-loading, user-friendly websites