When I explain to clients why standards are important I bring up the following list:

http://www.geminidevelopment.com.au/html/article_whycomplient.php

And explain it to them point by point.

Samuel

Joseph R. B. Taylor wrote:

As a thought, I wanted to point something out. No one cares about standards or accessibility but us. Its our job to care.

As an example, we can view any of the URLs on this list, and see a common thread - we all like to point out that we use standards and care about accessibility.

I've noticed that often, our text almost sounds as though we write it just in case another group member reads it so we make sure no one thinks we suck or something.

You won't find this in any other industry. Our potential clients want to know that we care, but we can never expect them to care about the difference between HTML and XHTML and XML, nor should we ever expect them to care much about CSS vs. tables for layout.

Our clients don't care as long as it works. They do care that we care enough to make them the best, most accessible site we can, but they could care less how.

Just a thought.

Joe Taylor
http://sitesbyjoe.com