> Geoff Deering

> >I'd estimate it to be roughly the same as the percentage of
> users that have reconfigured their OS to use different
> default colours which would make them get confused by
> *judiciously* styled form controls.

> And what percentage of users that access those web pages would you
> expect that to be?

You tell me...as they're the ones that you mentioned as a group
that would potentially have problems with designers styling form
controls in the first place, if I recall correctly...

> it just says it changes the background color, because this is
> under the control of the custom settings of the users desktop

Anyway, I think we've bored the rest of the WSG list enough with
this fundamental "philosophical" difference. You advocate not
styling form controls at all to avoid any potential problems;
I say that judicious styling, combined with more refined and obvious
browser controls (it should be fairly easy to find the overrides, not
buried under 3-4 levels of options), plus possibly alternate
style sheets / site preferences, should not be a major problem as
long as designers are made aware of the potential problems and
don't just make arbitrary design choices (which anybody who calls
hHimself a designer shouldn't anyway). There's probably no way to
get our two views closer, so I'll agree to disagree once again :)

Patrick H. Lauke
Web Editor / University of Salford
http://www.salford.ac.uk
http://webstandards.org/