From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Kat
Sent: Wednesday, 14 December 2005 10:57 AM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: [WSG] Abbreviations and Acronyms

Gday,

I was writing in my blog and was using acronyms and abbreviations and I
realised I didn't know something about the right way of doing things, and
I'm fairly confident someone here would.

This may be off topic because it's a question of accessible and/or
semantics. It may be also a little bit persnickety.

I understand the difference between acronym and abbreviation, in that an
acronym is pronounced as a word, is treated as a word, while an abbreviation
is pronounced as a succession of letters.

While I was writing, I definately used an abbreviation, created from the
first letter of the phrase, eg, HTML. In this case it was one of my uni
subjects, ISMR (Information Systems Maintenance and Re-engineering.)

But in the next paragraph, I used the same convention of taking the first
letter of each word in the phrase to create AIM (Accessible Interactive
Multimedia).

The Question:

Since it can be an acronym, should I mark it up as an acronym, or should I
stick to the convention I used earlier in the page to refer to other
subjects and use abbreviation? It can be pronounced as the word 'aim' or as
each individual letters.

What makes more sense from the accessibility point of view?
What makes more sense from the semantic point of view?

Or is this just a personal choice and has absolutely no effect whatsoever on
the end result? Am I over analysing this to death?

Kat
I have this feeling there's an important point I'm missing somewhere.