Rimantas Liubertas:

a) How many users do know that there exists a preference for a font size.
b) How many of the do know how to use it and indeed do use it.
c) How many have an idea what 'px' or 'pt' is, and have an idea how big
is 16pt/px. Same goes for DPI settings.
d) How many users prefer to play with settings instead of doing what
they were going to do in the first place (getting info)?

All good questions. I read somewhere recently that a seasoned usability tester observed one person changing the font size for the very first time. We may well conclude that the answer to the above questions are "not many", however, I sense that they are largely rhetorical. In any case, they illustrate very well the reason(s) why it is better to have a font that's too big than one that's too small.

Felix Miata wrote:
Here's my definition of user default-based

Thanks for the definition, particularly the examples you provide for when it is ok to use smaller text.

kind regards
Terrence Wood.