On 08/03/2007, at 11:48 PM, Bob Schwartz wrote:
Some meandering responses

First a disclaimer:

This post does not reflect my personal views on web accessibility or handicapped persons, it is merely a collection of "academic" thoughts triggered by various posts of the past few days.

How and why did the web get singled out from among all of the other "publishing" mediums to be "by law" accessible?

Because we are the latest kid on the block most able, more able than print from my experience of hitting a button to spend on hardcopy. We can provide options Guttenburg could not dream of, options to show the same object for different views.

Why aren't book, magazine, and newspaper publishers "required" to produce an audio or braille version of everything they publish?

The Accepted old media grandfather clause, only applies to new kids.

Why aren't TV broadcasters and movie production companies "required" to sub-title all of their broadcasts or films, or have an "off screen reader" describing the scenes?

Again old media exempted from new media rules.

Isn't saying one can't (shouldn't) use, for example, a popup window on a web site because screen readers have trouble with them, like telling Hollywood they can't (shouldn't) use certain special effects because the "off screen reader" would have trouble explaining them to a blind person?

But f the director who writes a script which misleads 10% of the audience up a dead end alley with signs saying "toilet this way" that really lead down ablind alley, has lost a lot of their audience before Act One Scene One is over. It is surely not right for a Hollywood director to want to waste investment money making flops that are never completely seen by a lot of people, the Target website it maybe a metaphorical comparison to a website flop, like a bad hollywood film.

It could legally cost your backers to make an inaccessible website, just as the movie director must stick to best practice production rules of lighting and sound the web director should follow standards which allows the largest possible audience of humans and bots.

The Editor
Heretic Press
http://www.hereticpress.com
Email [EMAIL PROTECTED]