If your on linux you can GIMP do mock ups of the site.  Normally for the
'design' I use photoshop and play around will colours and ideas

However the best place to start is actually either a pen and paper or a word
processor of some sort to layout the user interface.  (I don't mean the
design or outputting as html, just flow and structure of a page)