At 5/25/2007 12:15 AM, Felix Miata wrote:
On 2007/05/25 15:31 (GMT+1000) Kane Tapping apparently typed:

> Setting the body to font size to 65% - 70% is a good start.

Actually it's a bad start, arbitrarily assuming that there's something wrong
with the user's choice of default, and reducing it by some arbitrary amount,
even though you don't have a clue what it was to start with.

Isn't that true only if you then use 1em as your base font size?

In my efforts to build zoomable layouts [max-width at window width] I've found it convenient to declare a body font-size of 62.5% so that, on a PC with a default font size of 16px, 1em = 10px at normal zoom. It makes calculations very easy. For example, if you begin with a content column of 790px, that converts to 79em and becomes zoomable. An image that's 100px wide becomes 10em wide.

In that context, one can make one's base font size 1.6em (16px at normal zoom on a PC). This presents body text at the same size it would have been had font-size not been styled, yet at the same time makes scaling calculations much easier for the designer.

It seems like a win-win situation.  Can you see a flaw?

Even on Mac monitors running at 96dpi, reducing the text to 62.5% and then increasing to 1.6 should bring it back to 100% of the default size, whatever that may be.

Regards,

Paul

Paul Novitski
Juniper Webcraft Ltd.