Kevin Ross wrote:
Hi all,

I am trying to find a solution to a nagging problem. Most of my client's sites are not very dynamic and I update them as the client requires. Because the updates are very infrequent, I have not been charging very much for this ongoing support. However, I have a new client who wants to maintain her own site (one I designed for her). She is pretty good on the computer, but doesn't really know her way around HTML or CSS. I am agonizing over how to "pass the torch" over to her. The site is not extremely complex, but is more than a little task for someone who does not design web sites.

I am wondering for advice on this situation and I am also wondering how others handle ongoing updates after the initial design has been implemented.

I am also wondering if a CMS system would, in any way, be a solution to a situation like this.

Thanks.

Be careful if you don't use a CMS system. I donated a web site for a local organization and it was a beauty...since I no longer had the time to devote to updating I turned it over to a so called 'web designer' in the community (at the recommendation of the executive director). Sadly, he has basically ruined my site because he has no idea what he is doing and has no concept of web standards--or style for that matter. It is a real shame that so many people charge for and design web sites that don't follow any sort of standards.

Matthew