Drop down lists I'm not so sure but check boxes and radio buttons
definitely.

They use JavaScript and CSS and it is a form of image replacement that is
used.

Here is one example:

http://www.whatstyle.net/articles/18/pretty_form_controls_with_css

But there are many out there and as long as your check boxes degrade to the
default you will be fine.  So I suggest styling up your form using the
defaults and use the example above to enhance the look of the form only.
The example above uses CSS 3 pseudo classes but I believe he provides a
suitable alternative if you don't want to use CSS 3.

I hope this helps

Jamie.