Hi Andrew,
  few months ago I've made a tutorial[1] on my site (in italian language) to
make an experimental calendar totally accessible using (not a table but) a
pointed list (ul/li)[2] (Try to disable CSS and try to navigate it. Hope
you'll enjoy it). Much people said me to be agree with my ideas much other
not.

  So, IMHO (it's better to put this acronym :) ) , I should make a yearly
calendar made as a table with 12 cells: 3 cols x4 (Seasons) rows, and inside
each of them I would put my unordered-list-accessible calendar.

  I hope to be clear and usefull to your issue!

Best regards!

[1] Tutorial - Lang. ITA:
http://diegolamonica.info/tutorials/?id=10<http://diegolamonica.info/tutorials/?id=10>
[2] Demo: http://diegolamonica.info/instruments/download.php?id=28
--
Diego La Monica
Web: programmazione, standards, accessibilità e 2.0