Hi

I hope this thread isn't closed.

I have never worked on large retail sites as I tend to work on non-profit and
government sites, but if the problem has to do with alt tags then I have very
little sympathy for Target as this seems like a minor thing.

A person with a disability expends at least 4 times as much energy than someone
with no disability just to get through the day.  Target could use a bit of
kindness on that level alone, what could this company do to make the life of
someone a bit easier and hopefully little cost.

The argument that says that folks with visually disabilities can physically go
to the store to shop is also not true.

Blind folks cannot shop in a store without a sited person there to help them
and tell them where things are and so they can't browse easily.  Websites have
the ability to open doors, allowing the visually impaired to browse and do this
alone and independently.

Although I am not an expert and may be incorrect, all assistive devices are
extremely expensive, and I have a feeling at least some or not all of the
burden falls on the person who needs the assistive device (at least in the US),
such as a screen reader and an up-to-date computer to support it.   In
comparison, I think making a website accessible is a minor cost.

Nancy Johnson

photos & more.
http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC