Actually Joseph, we're in (near) total agreement. I am not arguing that
these things should not be done. I do them every day and advocate to others
that they should be done. I am merely saying that there is a cost associated
with doing them. Accessible, standards-compliant design does cost more at
the point that you do it, and this may or may not be outweighed by benefits
(many of which are unquantifiable) in the future.

Where we differ is that in my opinion a fixed-width layout is not an
acceptable or accessible solution. A few years ago I would have said it was,
but not now.

With regard to CMSs, you have a lot of choice if you're building small
websites. You may have almost no choice at all if you're building a very
large one, and none whatsoever if you have inherited an existing system.

The industry is crying out for plausible costings to justify adherence to
web standards and accessible design. All we have is heresay. Companies
(especially large ones) are not simply prepared to take our word for it.
They want proof, and we can't give it to them.

Steve