From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Christian Snodgrass
Sent: 04 February 2008 04:20
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] long description and its implementation

Maybe I'm confused. Do they usually have Flash installed? I thought that
screen readers would default to whatever is suppose to be replaced with the
Flash when using SWFObject. Maybe it defaults because the Flash isn't
enabled... Though, I guess that could be wrong as well.

Steve Green wrote:
> Such as?
>
> JAWS (which has something like 50% market share) has a high level of
> JavaScript support and I believe that the other professional screen
> readers (WindowEyes and HAL/SuperNova) also do. Free and cheap screen
> readers generally don't have JavaScript support.
>
> In our experience screen reader users do not turn off JavaScript. In
> fact they tend to use pretty much all software as it comes out of the
> box without any customisation. The one exception is Windows itself,
> where it is beneficial to enable Classic mode and make a few other
> adjustments, especially in Vista.
>
> Steve

Christian Snodgrass
Azure Ronin Web Design