Hi Matt,

that the following legend is
superflous and prevents logical grouping.

 <fieldset>
 <legend>Required</legend>
 <label for="name">Name (required) <input name="name">
 <label for="email">Email (required) <input name="email">
 </fieldset>

I agree, actually. With that example (and the image one I gave) using the word required, in the case of a user listening with a setting that reads the legends (default), would make it too verbose. It'd read:

Required Name Required
Required Email Required

Though I guess there'd be no missing it. ;-)

The use of the Required legend seems to work well with the asterisk, with its meaning defined in a non-associated label (one with no for attribute). It's a compromise method. I do have one form on a real-deal AAA WCAG 2.0 site I made (to be officially announced Mar. 11-12th) with this specific configuration. It's open now by invite to a few disabled users/testers and a couple of key WCAG 2.0 Editors, and I got more very positive comments about that particular set-up tonight... a few minutes ago actually.

<fieldset>
<legend>Personal Details</legend>

<input name="name">

That is a solid method for sure, but there's only one problem and that is to *some* users (default settings) it might sound too verbose.

Personal Details Name Required
Personal Details Email Required
Personal Details Phone

The problem is not the technique, yours or mine, or any of the other accessible methods. It's the myriad configurations possible that really challenge us. There are so many variables (not even including those of sighted users) that while there are a number of feasible methods, there seems no perfect one-size fits-all answer. It's all a compromise.

Mike