I'm curious - I've read something similar to the following quote a bunch of
times:

Abusing <em> just for italics or <strong> just for bolding,
when no
> emphasis is intended is the same *sort of* abuse as
using tables for
> layout. It is only abuse of a slightly lesser
degree.

Are there really torrents of <em> and <strong> abuse out in the real world?

Most of the presentational uses of strong and em in paragraph text are
semantic. People want text bolded in a paragraph to give it emphasis, to
make it "pop" out of the surrounds - to make it "strong". This seems to me
entirely semantic.

Justin