When a customer add a product to cart, which way is more user- friendly? Be redirect to 'my cart' page, or stay at the same page?

Right now Magento directs it to checkout page (p/s. this is the only eCommerce software I ever use apart from the paypal BIN button so I have no comparison and don't know how other carts do it), it makes sense to me as a customer because this is how I expect it to be : add cart, process to checkout. I don't want one more click to do the checkout. But client thinks otherwise, he wants no redirect as he wants people continue shopping. Also makes sense too, though not for my habit, but I have learned that I don't make sites for myself :-)

I hope this is ON topic as I view it as a usability issue.

Thanks!

tee