I would also like to add that staying on the page when adding a product to the cart is quite likely going to use javascript (aka ajax) to add the product to the cart and inform the user that the item has been added. This obviously has both usability and accessibility issues. I think Magento's approach is pretty standard and what the user expects. The idea that by taking someone to the cart will stop them shopping is in my opinion very flawed. In fact, i would argue in the opposite - in that if the customer merrily puts item in the cart - they will then get a shock when they do get too see the cart.. and give up.

Great work magento is doing... I have been playing with it since day 1.
Adam
Tweakmag.com