tee wrote:

Quote BIM: I don’t see that the W3c intention and the JAWS screen reader implementation are necessarily at odds; JAWS has a “duty” to keep users informed that they are in the same group, and this is one way of achieving it.

Has a "duty" as being overly helpful that turns to absurdity and annoyance?

Absurdity only if you're not wise about the length/wording of your legend text. Annoyance...that's surely up to screenreader users to decide for themselves? Unless you've got feedback from actual screenreader users stating that it's annoying, it sounds a touch patronising as a sighted developer to call the feature "annoying".

Does BIM a memebr here too? I am sorry, but I think his logic and reason are at fault.

Is it relevant to this discussion that Bim is actually a blind screenreader user herself?

An annoyance is an annoyance whether the legend is one word or 10 words long. One word of legend text, if repeated 10 times to me over and over on every page I visit. It's an annoyance.

But is it an annoyance to somebody who can't actually see your form and has to rely on auditory cues to know where they are within the form?

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com