Hi,

The guidelines state:

"Guideline 12.3: Divide large blocks of information into more manageable
groups where natural and appropriate. [Priority 2]

Content developers should group information where natural and appropriate.
When form controls can be grouped into logical units, use the FIELDSET
element and label those units with the LEGEND element. "

In other words, where you have a form with a LARGE number of form
controls, group them, where natural and appropriate, in logical units.

How assistive technologies (such as screen readers) then choose to use
that information is up to them - they can ignore it completely if they so
wish. They are the ones best placed to judge the usefulness to their users
of any particular feature and best placed to get feedback from their
users.

Paraphrasing, the guidelines for content developers are saying "do this
and your pages will be more accessible". The guidelines for developers of
assistive technologies are saying "these features are available to you, if
your users would find them helpful"

It is not the part of content developers to second-guess which
accessibility features will be useful for a user of an assistive
technology, but to provide a basis upon which assistive technologies may
be developed and improved.

Stuart