From: "Kristine Cummins" <des...@kristinecummins.com>

I've recently seen some arguments against the use of DHTML menus for
accessibility issues. How much is this an issue.. What is the percentage of population that does not have javascript enabled? Any other thoughts on the
topic?

My thoughts have always leaned towards using them as an enhanced form of navigation that supplements a well-designed site, while not requiring that they be used as the sole means of navigation. Making this decision eliminates the need for Rube Goldberg-esque attempts at providing keyboard support and other means that try to emulate OS UI conventions, while always falling short. I would also recommend against using so-called pure CSS multi-level menus, such as Suckerfish as they are often more of an accessibility and usability problem than anything else.

A visual illustration would be this mini test site:
http://www.projectseven.com/products/menusystems/pmm2/ug-examples/accessible/index.htm

--
Al Sparber - PVII
http://www.projectseven.com