  From:       <wsg@webstandardsgroup.org>

  To:         <wsg@webstandardsgroup.org>

  Date:       17/08/2009 06:00 PM

  Subject:    WSG Digest

WEB STANDARDS GROUP MAIL LIST DIGEST

From: Ben Davies <bendav...@he3.com.au>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 13:34:36 +1000
Subject: Fixed Sidebar Fluid Content - Source Order Limitations

Hi Everyone,

I am working on a site with a fixed sidebar panel and fluid content. After
some research I think I have discovered a CSS source order limitation
particular to this layout. Can anyone confirm whether this sounds correct:

- To put my content first in the markup, my content needs to be floated
(for
a following sidebar)

- My content is fluid, so I can not assign a width

- According http://css.maxdesign.com.au/floatutorial/introduction.htm you
must set an explicit width on a floated elemented except img tags as per
the
W3C (he references http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visuren.html#floats, but I can
not find exact statement).

- Therefore my fluid content can not appear with in my markup, my fixed
width sidebar must appear first and be floated instead.

Does that sound right? Regardless of W3C I could not get my content to
remain fluid, come first in the markup and still allow my fixed-width
sidebar to float up beside it.

Thanks for any feedback.

Ben Davies

- To put my content first in the markup, my content needs to be floated
(for
a following sidebar)
- My content is fluid, so I can not assign a width

You may want to try max-width on your main content. I'm not sure if that
will work for you since you didn't post a link.

Best regards,

Kepler Gelotte

Neighbor Webmaster, Inc.

156 Normandy Dr., Piscataway, NJ 08854