Actually is not enough. Accesskey is a good way about the accessibility, but it's not completed.
I didn't check the latest WCAG and the latest version of screen readers but:
* Keyboards shortcuts depend from the UA (the specifications didn't define it)
* Users may define preferences keys
* Most of the screen readers set the priorities to the website, so if you use a key not defined by the user but already defined by the browsers (like 'd'), you can private them from native functionalities * A few screen readers like IBM Home Page Reader set the priorities to the user so some accesskeys may be ignored in case of conflicts
* Exotic keys like \ ] ( most unused ) may not work.

So primary:
* Set in the head of html a bunch of primary links as link tag (<link rel="start" href="http://www.mysite.com"; title="Home Page" /><link rel="help" ...) * At least a "skip to content" link on TOP of your page (means top of the HTML page, not after iframe or ads or anything, just after the body. I don't remember the book (maybe Mr Zeldmann), citing http://www.jimthatcher.com/ (good example with focus only). * an additional block of skipping links at the top of the page too, like those defined by BBC - http://www.bbc.co.uk, great example too of skip nav * Then a block of visible links like help, select a skin typically ideal to introduce stuffs like style switcher, etc..
* Use correctly the titles h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6
* Use tabindex. you can play with tags like div - a, setting a tabindex and a title attribute
* And of course write the 'help page' about how using your site

Accessibility depends from the country too, but I think in Europe most the countries are using the following accesskeys:
Key 0: list of accesskeys , may be defined in the accessibility / help page.
Key 1: home page (key not working with IBM Home Page Reader)
Key 2: news
Key 3: sitemap
Key 4: form, for example search form
Key 5: FAQ, glossary, etc...
Key 6: help about using the website
Key 7: email contact
Key 8: copyrights, license, ...
Key 9: guestbook, feedback

So accesskeys are great but only one of the way to enhance the accessibility. Great french article: http://openweb.eu.org/articles/accesskey_essai_non_transforme.

One of the famous trick in css then is to use .off-left { position:absolute; left:-99999px; } for example instead of display:none, to set content outside of the screens but keep it readable by screen readers.

Cheers and enjoy ! ! !

Richard Mather さんは書きました:
Hi Bob,

According to Wikipedia, the UK Government recommends accesskey="s" for skip nav:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_key#Use_of_standard_access_key_mappings

Rich