Hi Bob,

That's a good one.

I've had a quick play and the only way I've found that works as you intend
is by giving widths in % - ie, your fixed divs, 1, 2 (floated left) and 4
(floated right) all have, say, width:10%; while your elastic div 3 (also
floated left) is given width:70%;

Markup, using background colours to visually define the divs:

content</div>

#wrapper {
    overflow:hidden;
    width:100%;
}

#wrapper div {
    height:50px;
}

#wrapper .fixed {
    width:10%;
}

#wrapper .elastic {
    width:70%;
}

#wrapper #box1 {
    background:#f00000;
    float:left;
}

#wrapper #box2 {
    background:#fff000;
    float:left;
}

#wrapper #box3 {
    background:#00f000;
    float:left;
}

#wrapper #box4 {
    background:#0000f0;
    float:right;
}

It's not perfect by any means - anyone else got any methods?

Rich